Environmental and Social Sustainability Policy
When you choose your Wānaka accommodation at Edgewater Resort Wānaka, be assured that we appreciate and value our stunning lakeside environment. We strive to protect our environment and follow socially sustainable business practises for your enjoyment.
We are on an ever-evolving environmental and sustainable journey. Here are some of current initiatives.
Hotel Weka Programme
As part of this programme, specific to New Zealand hotels, we recycle our old Elemis toiletry bottles from guest rooms. Recycled plastic is used as ‘concrete chairs’ an accessory item used to keep reinforcing mesh in concrete accurately spaced. Incidentally, the Elemis large bottles replaced miniature single use toiletry bottles.
We are pleased to partner with Wanakup, to provide you with sustainable, take-away coffee cups for any of our barista-made coffees. The reusable cups are available from the Wineglass Cafe and are $10, which is refunded if you choose to return the cup. Alternatively if you'd like to keep the cup you are welcome to do so - they are well insulated and keep your drink hot!
We have a range of low-impact activities at Edgewater including mountain bikes available for hire (including e-bikes), tennis and mini-golf. There is direct access to the lake-edge walking track.
Te Kakano Aotearoa Trust
This trust benefits from purchases of Roy the Ram – a plush toy available in Lonely Tree Gifts. Wānaka based, this trust specialises in propagating native plants for habitat restoration.
- Regular menu changes in the Wineglass Café allowing us to highlight seasonal produce. We also support local and sustainable suppliers. See our interview with Chef Chris here.
- Improved paper waste disposal
- Dual purpose bins in guest rooms and shared office spaces.
- Paperless staff time management system (Tanda).
- Supporting local breweries with a range of local craft beers on tap.
- Opportunities for staff to volunteer at relevant local charities and staff meals.
- We support many local causes and donate a hospitality scholarship to our local college that promotes excellence within our industry through our youth.
- Charging points for EV vehicles.
- Lawn games as part of our low impact activities.
- Native trees have been planted across the property.
Edgewater Wānaka Hotel is a proud participant in a several programmes unique to the tourism and travel industry.