Environmental and Social Sustainability Policy
When you choose your Wanaka accommodation at Edgewater Resort Wanaka, be assured that we appreciate and value our stunning lakeside environment. We strive to protect our environment and follow socially sustainable business practises for your enjoyment.
We are on an ever-evolving environmental and sustainable journey. Here are some of current initiatives.
Hotel Weka Programme
As part of this programme, specific to New Zealand hotels, we recycle our old Elemis toiletry bottles from guest rooms. Recycled plastic is used as ‘concrete chairs’ an accessory item used to keep reinforcing mesh in concrete accurately spaced. Incidentally, the Elemis large bottles replaced miniature single use toiletry bottles.
This is a multi-use coffee cup exchange programme running in Wanaka. Edgewater’s Wineglass Café is part of this programme. Guests buy their coffee and a cup (currently an extra $3, as a deposit) and use it multiple times either at Edgewater or at any of the participating cafes in Wanaka. When the cup is no longer needed, it can be redeemed for the $3 deposit at any of the participating cafes. Here is further information on Again Again.
Our Lonely Tree Gift shop located in the hotel includes keep cups and water flasks for guests to purchase.
We have a range of low-impact activities at Edgewater including mountain bikes available for hire (including e-bikes), tennis and mini-golf. There is direct access to the lake-edge walking track.
Te Kakano Aotearoa Trust
This trust benefits from purchases of Roy the Ram – a plush toy available in Lonely Tree Gifts. Wanaka based, this trust specialises in propagating native plants for habitat restoration. Markers across the property identify native plants with names in both English and Te Reo (native Maori language).
• Regular menu changes in the Wineglass Café allowing us to highlight seasonal produce.
• Food and beverage credits for multi-night stays if guests waive housekeeping services.
• Improved paper waste disposal
• Dual purpose bins in guest rooms and shared office spaces
• Paperless staff time management system (Tanda)
• Supporting local breweries with a range of local craft beers on tap.
• Staff ‘Wellness Wednesdays’, such as yoga classes and the opportunity to volunteer at relevant local events. We also provide staff meals complimentary.
• We support many local causes and donate a hospitality scholarship to our local college that promotes excellence within our industry through our youth.
Edgewater Wanaka Hotel is a proud participant in a several programmes unique to the tourism and travel industry.
- Tourism Industry Aotearoa’s Sustainability Commitment
- The Tiaki Promise – care for New Zealand
- We hold a silver environmental grade as part of our four star-plus hotel level Qualmark. We are striving for gold grade.
- Toitu Envirocare.